Skip to main content

To Friendship!

Thank you for being:
My friend
My guide
My confidante
My colleague
My student

 Thanks for :
 stealthily making lemon juice at midnight
 coming on long bicycle rides on the IITB campus
 taking classical music lessons with me
 making me read and forcing me to write
 bumping into me at Strand
 fixing train timings and screwing them, too
 motivating me to attend Sanskrit lectures
discussing "Tom Joad" with me
learning French and tolerating my dismal linguistic skills
translating "tum se hi"
singing "Tere haath mein" from Fanaa
listening to the endless drone that are my lectures
sharing my Kafka and Sheldon Cooper obsession
becoming the victims for my culinary experiments
sharing a samosa paav with me
losing your mind over Paradise Lost
parsing sentences
scanning poetry
looking for SPOCA and glides
calling Gus a scoundrel and taking that as a  complement
sharing a silly chain with me
doing a planchette with me
gifting me a nailpolish with the hope that I might take to fashion
debating politics and ideology
sitting in S-21 with me
accompanying me to 7-11
tagging along to Gaylords
sipping a fruit beer
pointing out the "Mandir" at kanjurmarg station! 
coming on treks on the IITB hillock
taking me and my teddy to Goa
marrying me 
welcoming me into your family
calling me Athige or Tai 
teaching me Tulu
watching a movie with me
playing badminton with me and taking my abuses sportingly
heroically sitting by my side as I drive
laughing at my silly jokes
talking sense into me
fighting with me
consoling me
loving me so much :)



Thanks for reading and liking this piece :)







Comments

  1. Nicely put, Sham! Friends are undoubtedly a major part of one's social sphere. Friendship surely doesn't need words to cement it but gestures. I am thankful to you for encouraging me to keep writing. :) . Thanks again for being a "friend".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful & beautifully simple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gauri,
      loved the way you put your comment. creative writing, eh?
      thanks so much for the comment !

      Delete
  3. Loving you for being you!!! Nice piece Shamini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You missed one:
    Risking our lives to eat your food ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading the post. thanks for the comments .
      maybe this comes closer : becoming the victims for my culinary experiments
      hope you all continue to risk your lives looking forward to more food-filled times:)

      Delete
  5. Hey Lakshmi ,
    wish you loads of fun dear on this friendship day ! thanks for the comment.
    cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still remember the first day we had met. We connected instantly.
    Of course, you were the one who started talking first. And then... you kept talking n talking... ;)

    so many memories related to our Ruia days.
    Local train journeys, English major classes, Veg. Frankie,
    Fruit Beer, DP's, Vada Pav/ Samosa Pav (We have had vada pav so many times during those years that I could not have it for at least next one year. :) )
    miss those days...

    Shamss... thanks for being a part of my life.. n thanks for the being the way u are!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely, Shamini! How come I never saw it before? Thank you too, for some of this and more. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dunkirk

Way back in 1952,  Rene Clement directed  Jeux Interdits, a French war film. It was based on Francois Boyer's novel of the same title. The film captures the horrors of the war as it disrupts everyday life, traumatizes children and kills innocence. What happens on a macro cosmic scale in war torn Europe, is reflected in the micro cosmic reality of the central protagonists: Paulette and Michel Dolle. As audience, we live the moments through these two characters. Music overpowers the narrative and haunts one for days. Very similar tonal quality can be sensed in Christopher Nolan's war film: Dunkirk (2017). It is amazing how both Clement and Nolan bring out the essence of human grit, basic survival instinct and an underlining sense of guilt that engulfs us all when we approach: war. For a war movie, Dunkirk is actually eye pleasing. There is hardly any blood to be seen. The beach, water, sky, cliffs all have been shot spectacularly. Yet, we know this is not a holiday experienc

Paus

किती वाट पाहिली तुझी? वाटले, येतोस की नाही.आकाशात ढग दाटले की चाहूल लागते तुझी.मंद गार वारा आणि त्यावर स्वार होऊन येतात त्या धारा. कधी शांत ,अबोध रिमझिम तर कधी दमदार बरसात, तर कधी गंभीर संततधार अशी अनेक रुपं तुझी! कधी थोडा विसावा धेतलास, तर आसमंतात शांतता पसरते. लहानपणी छप्परावर नाचणारा तू, आजही साद घालतोस.छोट्या छोट्या कागदी होड्या बनवून त्या साचलेल्या डबक्यात सोडायच्या. बुडणार त्या हे माहिती असायचे , पण त्यांच्या क्षणभर तरंगण्याचा केवढा आनंद वाटत असे. तुझे स्वागत आईनं केलेल्या भजीने व्हायचे. त्या अल्लड वयात तुझ्या तुषारांचा रोमांच! उफाळून आलेला समुद्र आणि मेघांनी मोहरलेले डोंगर ! कधी अचानक दिसलेले इंद्रधनुष.सगळे अद्भुत. प्रणयाच्या क्षणांना तुझ्या संगीताची साथ! तुझ्या धास्तीने लोकलचा केलेला प्रवास आणि कितीही पैसे मोजून घराकडे घेतलेली धाव,मग  आलं घालून चहा आणि सगळ्यांची विचारपूस. तुझ्या बरोबरीचे अस्थानी पराक्रम आणि तद्नंतर मिळालेला  औषधांचा खुराक,हे कधी चुकले नाही . घरी एकटेच असताना ,तू सोबत करतोस की कुठल्या अनामिक भीतीला निमंत्रण देतोस, हे कळलेच नाही . जितका अल्लहाददायी तितकाच

To Sir...with love

Gurupoornima is about Gurus and disciples. As a teenager, my mother pushed me into learning Hindustani Classical music. I had been learning the form for some time now. I had not developed a liking for it. I was very apprehensive to approach Prof Malshe. For, I knew that he would have high expectations from his students.Nevertheless, I did meet him one day. Surprisingly, he agreed to teach me. I remember Sir started off with Raga Yaman . After making me sing a few notes, he noted that my voice had that tonal quality required to take up Hindustani Classical music. Thus, began a musical journey that I would cherish for the rest of my life. Every year, Prof Malshe's students (read:shishyas) would organize a Gurupoornima event on the IITB campus. Sir would allot Ragas to each student. It was a common practice, for freshers to start the morning session with "Ishastavana" (an invocation to God) the others would follow as per their respective seniority. In  the evening  Mals