Skip to main content

Sunday

SUNDAY*
I woke up at 7:00 A.M. The cliched start for a Sunday account should be "I woke up pretty late than usual" or something like "the morning rays gently tickled me out of my blissful repose" . I prefer to mention the exact time. That helps because there are many who need to be shaken out of their slumber at noon. They might find this cruelly early . But then we have a few darlings of the dawn who are up with the lark. So let's not discuss whether it was early or late. I WOKE UP ! that's not to say I chanced upon some "meaning" or had a re-awakening about my "Self". I didn't wake up to anything. Done with the booting (on Sundays this includes a head-bath and a delightful breakfast), I went online. As I was about to start reading "manga", I got a message. Which read something like this: "Hey !!!! We are planning to catch up a movie in the afty, u know, around 3/4 and then we'll go for a dinner. It's a birthday treat. Pls let us know if you would like to join us. ASAP.Guys Pl reply" I growled. I become this lazy lioness who refuses to step out of her den on SUNDAYS. (I am not a Durrell to know about ways of the Wild Cat. Usage directed by my Sun Sign and alliteration. ) Spending hard earned money on some stupid, senseless movie and stuffing yourself with a sumptuous, yet unhealthy meal is NOT my idea of a perfect Sunday. Trust me, I am a movie buff and a foodie too. What irritates me most is the idea of getting dressed ( i prefer my old Tees and pants on Sundays), braving the rains, sitting in suffocating ACs in the Malls and Cinema Halls, clamour of cutlery and whispered conversations or boisterous blabber at restaurants ! I hate to gradually convince my Self that the film was not too bad after all. I get worked up when my friends tell me that I am not talking today. As if I need to play the clown every time I meet them. Sorry, nothing comes for free. NOT even the Fool. It fails to dawn upon them that I need an off too. A day off from putting up an appearance, from running the show, from work, from friends, from family too. A day for yourself ! Sunday is the only day that I can claim to be my own. Entirely mine. I am not an old wreck to spend every Sunday in the confines of my home. But yes, I need time for my-self . So today was the DAY. I did nothing but pampered myself to glory. It was a day spent grooving to music and throwing half my wardrobe out of the window (I suddenly have space for NEW clothes ! ) A day spent skimming through my files and notes. A day spent in the company of books. It has charged me up for the entire week that gapes at me. What a splendid Sunday!
*(The writer is a dreamer by profession, who loves to pepper her discourse with fictional characters and events and has a six-day week).

Comments

  1. LoooooooL! I LOVED THIS, Sham! Every sentence of it. You are just superbly you!

    But... threw your clothes out of the WINDOW? :o
    And that too of a fifteenth floor apartment? I am imagining them nestling on the famed IIT hillock, soaking and sousing in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely not a bad idea to have a "sunday for myself" once in a while

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dunkirk

Way back in 1952,  Rene Clement directed  Jeux Interdits, a French war film. It was based on Francois Boyer's novel of the same title. The film captures the horrors of the war as it disrupts everyday life, traumatizes children and kills innocence. What happens on a macro cosmic scale in war torn Europe, is reflected in the micro cosmic reality of the central protagonists: Paulette and Michel Dolle. As audience, we live the moments through these two characters. Music overpowers the narrative and haunts one for days. Very similar tonal quality can be sensed in Christopher Nolan's war film: Dunkirk (2017). It is amazing how both Clement and Nolan bring out the essence of human grit, basic survival instinct and an underlining sense of guilt that engulfs us all when we approach: war. For a war movie, Dunkirk is actually eye pleasing. There is hardly any blood to be seen. The beach, water, sky, cliffs all have been shot spectacularly. Yet, we know this is not a holiday experienc

Paus

किती वाट पाहिली तुझी? वाटले, येतोस की नाही.आकाशात ढग दाटले की चाहूल लागते तुझी.मंद गार वारा आणि त्यावर स्वार होऊन येतात त्या धारा. कधी शांत ,अबोध रिमझिम तर कधी दमदार बरसात, तर कधी गंभीर संततधार अशी अनेक रुपं तुझी! कधी थोडा विसावा धेतलास, तर आसमंतात शांतता पसरते. लहानपणी छप्परावर नाचणारा तू, आजही साद घालतोस.छोट्या छोट्या कागदी होड्या बनवून त्या साचलेल्या डबक्यात सोडायच्या. बुडणार त्या हे माहिती असायचे , पण त्यांच्या क्षणभर तरंगण्याचा केवढा आनंद वाटत असे. तुझे स्वागत आईनं केलेल्या भजीने व्हायचे. त्या अल्लड वयात तुझ्या तुषारांचा रोमांच! उफाळून आलेला समुद्र आणि मेघांनी मोहरलेले डोंगर ! कधी अचानक दिसलेले इंद्रधनुष.सगळे अद्भुत. प्रणयाच्या क्षणांना तुझ्या संगीताची साथ! तुझ्या धास्तीने लोकलचा केलेला प्रवास आणि कितीही पैसे मोजून घराकडे घेतलेली धाव,मग  आलं घालून चहा आणि सगळ्यांची विचारपूस. तुझ्या बरोबरीचे अस्थानी पराक्रम आणि तद्नंतर मिळालेला  औषधांचा खुराक,हे कधी चुकले नाही . घरी एकटेच असताना ,तू सोबत करतोस की कुठल्या अनामिक भीतीला निमंत्रण देतोस, हे कळलेच नाही . जितका अल्लहाददायी तितकाच

To Sir...with love

Gurupoornima is about Gurus and disciples. As a teenager, my mother pushed me into learning Hindustani Classical music. I had been learning the form for some time now. I had not developed a liking for it. I was very apprehensive to approach Prof Malshe. For, I knew that he would have high expectations from his students.Nevertheless, I did meet him one day. Surprisingly, he agreed to teach me. I remember Sir started off with Raga Yaman . After making me sing a few notes, he noted that my voice had that tonal quality required to take up Hindustani Classical music. Thus, began a musical journey that I would cherish for the rest of my life. Every year, Prof Malshe's students (read:shishyas) would organize a Gurupoornima event on the IITB campus. Sir would allot Ragas to each student. It was a common practice, for freshers to start the morning session with "Ishastavana" (an invocation to God) the others would follow as per their respective seniority. In  the evening  Mals